Skip to Main Content
Recyclable zein-coated kraft paper and linerboardAuthor(s): Nicholas Parris; Marguerite Sykes; Leland C. Dickey; Jack L. Wiles; Thomas J. Urbanik; Peter H. Cooke
Source: Progress in paper recycling. Vol. 11, no. 3 (May 2002): Pages 24-29
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (260 KB)
DescriptionRecyclability of kraft paper and linerboard coated with commercial zein and paraffin wax or a zein-lipid mixture was evaluated using conventional recycling processes. Zein, an alcohol-soluble protein from corn, exhibits both grease and water vapor barrier properties. Strength properties, grease resistance, and water vapor barrier proper-ties were measured on handsheets prepared from fiberized coated and recycled kraft paper and linerboard. The coating reduced water vapor transmission rates (WVTR) and grease permeation 16% and 100%, respectively, on handsheets prepared from reslushed kraft paper and 8% and 97% on kraft linerboard. Strength properties of reslushed zein-isolate-coatedkraft paper were 12% to 19%lower than those of the reslushed uncoated control. However, strength properties of recycled paper, regardless of treatment or presence of enzyme, approximated those of reslushed uncoated paper. Handsheets from reslushed zein-isolate-coated linerboard were essentially as strong as reslushed control sheets. In contrast, strength values of handsheets from zein-wax-coated kraft paper reslushed in water were approximately 20% to 30% lower than those for reslushed uncoated paper. Pretreatment of coated paper with an enzyme solution of pancreatin 8x and sodium dodecylsulfate (SDS), followed by flotation removal ofthe coating, significantly improved strength properties of handsheets made from reslushed fibers.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationParris, Nicholas; Sykes, Marguerite; Dickey, Leland C.; Wiles, Jack L.; Urbanik, Thomas J.; Cooke, Peter H. 2002. Recyclable zein-coated kraft paper and linerboard. Progress in paper recycling. Vol. 11, no. 3 (May 2002): Pages 24-29
KeywordsCoating, enzyme, grease, hydrolysis, paper, pulping, recycle, water vapor, zein
- Response surface methodology (RSM) to evaluate moisture effects on corn stover in recovering xylose by DEO hydrolysis
- Sustainability of corn stover harvest strategies in Pennsylvania
- Linking resilience theory and diffusion of innovations theory to understand the potential for perennials in the U.S. Corn Belt
XML: View XML