Skip to Main Content
3D engineered fiberboard : a new structural building productAuthor(s): John F. Hunt; Jerrold E. Winandy
Source: Proceedings of the Sixth Panel Products Symposium : 2002 October 1-11, Llandudno, Wales, UK. Bangor, Gwynedd, UK : The BioComposites Centre, UWB, 2002: Pages 106-117
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (692 KB)
DescriptionTo help meet the need for sustainable forest management tools, the USDA Forest Products Laboratory is developing an economically viable process to produce three-dimensional structural fibreboard products that can utilize a wide range of lignocellulosic fibres contained in the forest undergrowth and in underutilized timber. This will encourage the public and private sector to undertake thinning or clearing of these components from the forest thereby reducing or removing dangerous fuels and minimizing costs to the federal government for fire mitigation. The proposed product consists of a structural material which can be made from a wide range of little or no-value underutilized fibre sources; such as wood residues, agricultural biomass, and including recycled fibre. The new material is referred to as 3D Engineered Fiberboard and would have uses in construction, furniture, and packaging applications. Through continuous hot-pressing of lignocellulosic fibre between rigid mould elements, 3D panels can be moulded into a specially engineered form. Continuous hot-pressing produces strong inter-fibre bonds even using relatively low-quality fibre. When the moulded structural core is bonded to flat-panel exterior skins, a novel three-dimensional sandwich panel is formed that exhibits a high level of strength and stiffness.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHunt, John F.; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2002. 3D engineered fiberboard : a new structural building product. Proceedings of the Sixth Panel Products Symposium : 2002 October 1-11, Llandudno, Wales, UK. Bangor, Gwynedd, UK : The BioComposites Centre, UWB, 2002: Pages 106-117
KeywordsFiberboard, three-dimensional structural fiberboard, 3D structural fiberboard, panels
- 3D engineered fiberboard : engineering analysis of a new building product
- Mechanical properties for a wet-processed fiberboard made from small-diameter lodgepole pine treetop material
- Effects of fiber processing on properties of fiber and fiberboard made from lodgepole pine treetops
XML: View XML