Skip to Main Content
The MAP program: building the digital terrain model.Author(s): R.H. Twito; R.W. Mifflin; R.J. McGaughey
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-200. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northest Research Station. 22 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (2.94 MB)
DescriptionPLANS, a software package for integrated timber-harvest planning, uses digital terrain models to provide the topographic data needed to fit harvest and transportation designs to specific terrain. MAP, an integral program in the PLANS package, is used to construct the digital terrain models required by PLANS. MAP establishes digital terrain models using digitizer-traced contour lines from topographic maps, which are, in turn, processed into an elevation grid and stored in matrix form. MAP builds continuous digital terrain models that can cover large planning areas and builds them to any elevation grid spacing desired. Though the MAP method does not always result in digital terrain models that are a perfect equivalent to the topographic map, they should be adequate for planning. A guide giving detailed operating instructions for the programs is included.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTwito, R.H.; Mifflin, R.W.; McGaughey, R.J. 1987. The MAP program: building the digital terrain model. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-200. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northest Research Station. 22 p
KeywordsTimber harvest planning, computer programs/programing, models, logging operations analysis/design
- The SKYTOWER and SKYMOBILE programs for locating and designing skyline harvest units.
- ROUTES: a computer program for preliminary route location.
- The HIGHLEAD program: locating and designing highlead harvest units by using digital terrain models.
XML: View XML