Skip to Main Content
Scale considerations for linking hillslopes to aquatic habitatsAuthor(s): Robert R. Ziemer
Source: Pages 22-32, in: Hermann Gucinski, Cynthia Miner, and Becky Bittner (eds.) Proceedings: Views from the ridge: Considerations for planning at the landscape scale. General Technical Report PNW-GTR-596. Portland, OR: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 133 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (346 KB)
DescriptionThe title of this conference, ""Views From the Ridge"" suggests a particular scalar view of issues. From the ridge, one obtains a somewhat broad but restricted view of the landscape. Certainly, ""Views From Space"" would provide a larger spatial overview in which landscape pattern becomes a dominant theme. For an aquatic or riparian theme, ""Views From the Valley"" would suggest looking upward to the hillslope and ridges, in contrast to looking down from the ridge. Issues concerning appropriate scale have been prevalent in most of the recent landscape assessments, including the Northwest Forest Plan (FEMAT 1993), the PACFISH (1994) strategy, and, most recently, the Forest Service Roads Analysis (USDA Forest Service 1999) procedure. In all of these efforts, three struggles were common: (1) issue identification and integration of information across multiple disciplines, (2) appropriate spatial scales, and (3) appropriate temporal scales
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZiemer, Robert R. 2004. Scale considerations for linking hillslopes to aquatic habitats. Pages 22-32, in: Hermann Gucinski, Cynthia Miner, and Becky Bittner (eds.) Proceedings: Views from the ridge: Considerations for planning at the landscape scale. General Technical Report PNW-GTR-596. Portland, OR: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 133 p.
KeywordsPSW4351, hillslopes, erosion, watershed, aquatic habitat
- Methods to assess landscape-scale risk of bark beetle infestation to support forest management decisions
- The role of the silviculturist at multiple scales
- Proceedings: views from the ridge—considerations for planning at the landscape scale.
XML: View XML