Skip to Main Content
Soil bulk density and soil moisture calculated with a FORTRAN 77 program.Author(s): G.L. Starr; J.M. Geist
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-211. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Staion. 6 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (348 KB)
DescriptionThis paper presents an improved version of BDEN, an interactive computer program written in FORTRAN 77 that will calculate soil bulk density and moisture percentage by weight and volume. Calculations allow for deducting coarse fragment weight and volume. The program will also summarize the resulting data by giving the mean, standard deviation, and 95-percent confidence interval for one or more groupings of data.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStarr, G.L.; Geist, J.M. 1988. Soil bulk density and soil moisture calculated with a FORTRAN 77 program. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-211. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Staion. 6 p
KeywordsSoil bulk density, soil water, soil monitoring, computer programs, programming
- BDEN: A timesaving computer program for calculating soil bulk density and water content.
- Processing data from soil assessment surveys with the computer program SOILS.
- Estimating the weight of Douglas-fir tree boles and logs with an iterative computer model.
XML: View XML