Skip to Main Content
Influence of moisture absorption on mechanical properties of wood flour- polypropylene compositesAuthor(s): Nicole Stark
Source: Journal of thermoplastic composite materials. Vol. 14 (Sept. 2001): Pages 421-432
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (205 KB)
DescriptionWood-plastic composites are being examined for a greater number of structural-type applications that may be exposed to different environments, some of them adverse. This paper discusses the influence of moisture absorption on the mechanical proper-ties of wood flour-polypropylene composites. Composites filled with 20% or 40% wood flour (by weight) were placed in different environments, removed periodically, and tested for moisture content and mechanical properties. The composites filled with 20% wood flour (20% WF) absorbed moisture in all the environmental exposures, but no significantdegradation ofproperties was observed. The 40% WF composites absorbed more moisture than did the 20% WF composites. The flexural properties of composites subjected to a water bath and to 90% relative humidity were lower than the flexural properties of the other composites. Tensile properties and notched impact strengths decreased only for composites placed in a water bath. Unnotched impact strengths did not change significantly with absorption of moisture.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStark, Nicole. 2001. Influence of moisture absorption on mechanical properties of wood flour- polypropylene composites. Journal of thermoplastic composite materials. Vol. 14 (Sept. 2001): Pages 421-432
KeywordsWood, filler, reinforcement, polypropylene, composites, moisture, mechanical properties, modulus, strength
- Effects of wood fiber characteristics on mechanical properties of wood/polypropylene composites
- Influence of photostabilizers on wood flour-HDPE composites exposed to xenon-arc radiation with and without water spray
- Effects of processing method and moisture history on laboratory fungal resistance of wood-HDPE composites.
XML: View XML