Skip to Main Content
Miscellaneous wood structuresAuthor(s): Michael A. Ritter; Keith F. Faherty
Source: Wood engineering and construction handbook. New York, NY : McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1999: Pages 10.1-10.77
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (972 KB)
DescriptionThis section addresses the design of two types of glulam timber bridges : beam bridges with transverse decks and longitudinal glulam deck (slab) bridges. The material presented in the section is based on the 1992 edition of the AASHTO Standard Specifications for Highway Bridges (AASHTO specifications), including interim specifications through 1993. When specific design requirements or criteria are not addressed by that specification, recommendations are based on referenced standards and specifications or commonly accepted design practice. Because AASHTO specifications are periodically revised to reflect new developments in bridge design, the designer should refer to the latest edition for the most current requirements. This section is not intended to serve as a substitute for current specifications.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRitter, Michael A.; Faherty, Keith F. 1999. Miscellaneous wood structures. Wood engineering and construction handbook. New York, NY : McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1999: Pages 10.1-10.77
KeywordsWooden bridges, glulam timber bridges, beam bridges with transverse decks, longitudinal glulam deck (slab) bridges
- Standard plans for southern pine bridges
- Designing timber highway bridge superstructures using AASHTO?LRFD specifications
- Live load distribution on longitudinal glued-laminated timber deck bridges : final report : conclusions and recommendations
XML: View XML