Skip to Main Content
Wood-based panels : supply, trade and consumptionAuthor(s): Henry Spelter
Source: ECE/FAO Forest Products Annual Market Review, 1999-2000. Geneva, Switzerland : United Nations Publications, 2000: Pages 113-130
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (639 KB)
DescriptionPreliminary figures of wood-based panels consumption in Europe show a small increase in 1999 to 52.1 million m3 a new record level. However, according to the European Panel Federation (EPF), real consumption taking into account particle board stock changes, was higher due to the recovery of markets in the second half of 1999. Particle board is the main panel in Europe with over 67% of total consumption. Consumption of MDF and OSB set record levels. MDF was up 10.7% to 7.14 million m3 and OSB increased by 43% to just under 1 million m3. In North America trends show a continued strong performance for the wood-based panel sector in 1999 reaching 55.6 million m3. OSB and MDF have continued their expansion. Dr. Henry Spelter from the USDA, Forest Products Laboratory has contributed to this chapter by analyzing trends for the different panel products in North America using as a frame of reference the concept of life cycle. The analysis shows that while softwood plywood has reached maturity and is at present in a declining phase, particle board is still a mature product OSB and MDF, on the contrary, are new products with rapid market penetration and are substituting other wood products. The secretariat thanks Dr. Spelter for his contribution. Wood-based panels consumption in the Russian Federation. has increased to 3.0 million m3 in 1999. Higher production levels, mostly of particle board contributed to this increase, but overall consumption remains well below 1992 levels.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSpelter, Henry. 2000. Wood-based panels : supply, trade and consumption. ECE/FAO Forest Products Annual Market Review, 1999-2000. Geneva, Switzerland : United Nations Publications, 2000: Pages 113-130
KeywordsWood-based panels, panel consumption, panel supply, panel trade
- Status and trends : profile of structural panels in the United States and Canada
- Projected Market Competition for Wood Biomass between Traditional Products and Energy: A Simulated Interaction of US Regional, National, and Global Forest Product Markets
- Recycling behind most growth in pallet production
XML: View XML