Skip to Main Content
Fire development and wall endurance in sandwich and wood-frame structuresAuthor(s): Carlton A. Holmes; Herbert W. Eickner; John J. Brenden; Curtis C. Peters; Robert H. White
Source: Res. Pap. FPL-364. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, 1980: 24 pages
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (379 KB)
DescriptionLarge-scale fire tests were conducted on seven 16- by 24-foot structures. Four of these structures were of sandwich construction with cores of plastic or paper honeycomb and three were of wood-frame construction. The wasss were loaded to a computer design loading, and the fire endurance determined under a fire exposure from a typical building contents loading of 4-1/2 lb/ft2 floor area. The results in the large-scale tests generally agreed with results of laboratory ASTM E 119 tests on the same wall constructions if the slower fire buildup time in the large-scale tests is considered. Thermal barrier protection (gypsum board) on the interior walls of the plywood sandwich construction provided the improved performance needed. The large-scale tests also showed a critical temperature associated with flashover under the fire conditions employed.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHolmes, Carlton A.; Eickner, Herbert W.; Brenden, John J.; Peters, Curtis C.; White, Robert H. 1980. Fire development and wall endurance in sandwich and wood-frame structures. Res. Pap. FPL-364. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, 1980: 24 pages
KeywordsWood-frame structures, fire tests, wall endurance, sandwich construction
- Evaluation of the High-Heel Roof-to-Wall Connection with Extended OSB Wall Sheathing
- Evaluation of Extended Wall OSB Sheathing Connection under Combined Uplift and Shear Loading for 24-inch Heel Trusses
- Full-scale shear wall tests for force transfer around openings
XML: View XML