Skip to Main Content
Differences in molecular characteristics between Cronartium quercuum from Japan and fusiform rust from USAAuthor(s): Hitoshi Nakamura; Shigeru Kaneko; Pauline Spaine
Source: Proceedings of the first IUFRO [International Union of Forestry Research Organizations] rusts of forest trees working party conference; 1998 August 2-7; Saariselka, Finland. Research Papers 712. Metla, Finland: Finnish Forest Research Institute: 235-241.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (191 KB)
DescriptionThe molecular characteristics were compared among Cronartium quercuum f. sp. densiflorae and C. quercuum f. sp. thunbergii from Japan and C. quercuum f. sp. fusiforme, fusiform rust from the USA. The authors examined the PCR-amplified internal transcribed spacer (ITS) region of six collections (RFLP) analysis and nucleotide sequences. The ITS regions of six collections from Pinus densiflora and four collections from P. thunbergii from Japan and five collections from the native American hosts P. taeda or P. elliotti were amplified by PCR. The RFLP patterns with the three enzymes Dra I, Hinf I, and Taq I showed clear differences between the two Japanese formae speciales and the American C. quercuum f. sp. fusiforme. No differences were found in the RFLP patterns between ff. spp. densiflorae and thunbrgii. Nucleotide sequences of the ITS2 region confirmed the distinction between ff. sp. densiflorae and fusiforme. Comparisons with sequence data obtained from GenBank database on the other formae speciales in C. quercuum also confirmed the distinctiveness of f. sp. densiflorae. These molecular data supported the morphological differences reported earlier between the Asian and American forms in the C. quercuum complex.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNakamura, Hitoshi; Kaneko, Shigeru; Spaine, Pauline. 1998. Differences in molecular characteristics between Cronartium quercuum from Japan and fusiform rust from USA. Proceedings of the first IUFRO [International Union of Forestry Research Organizations] rusts of forest trees working party conference; 1998 August 2-7; Saariselka, Finland. Research Papers 712. Metla, Finland: Finnish Forest Research Institute: 235-241.
- Selection of RAPD markers for investigation of genetic population structure in fusiform rust fungus infecting loblolly pine
- Microsatellite DNA suggests regional structure in the fusiform rust fungus Cronartium quercuum f. sp fusiforme
- DNA barcodes and molecular diagnostics to distinguish an introduced and native Laricobius (Coleoptera: Derodontidae) species in eastern North America
XML: View XML