Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Effect of ventilation rate and board loading on formaldehyde concentration : a critical review of the literatureAuthor(s): George E. Myers
Source: Forest products research. Vol. 34, no. 10 (Oct. 1984): Pages 59-68
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (279 KB)
DescriptionA critical literature review has been carried out on the influence of ventilation rate (N, hr.-1) and board loading (L, m2/m3) on steady state formaldehyde concentrations (Cs, ppm) resulting from particleboard and plywood emissions. Large differences exist among boards in the extent to which their formaldehyde concentrations change with N or L in laboratory chambers. Much of the concentration versus N and L data obtained from controlled chamber experiments can be described by a two-parameter equation involving the ratio N/L as the independent variable. Although this equation has a theoretical basis, it should be regarded as semiempirical because of deviations beyond N/L Z 8 m/hr. and because a true steady state cannot be maintained indefinitely. Concentration versus N/L data for dwellings under controlled conditions are meager; more testing is needed before effects here can be quantified or chamber results reliably extrapolated to dwellings. More information is also needed regarding concentrations produced by mixed board products; at present those concentrations cannot be accurately predicted from individually measured values.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMyers, George E. 1984. Effect of ventilation rate and board loading on formaldehyde concentration : a critical review of the literature. Forest products research. Vol. 34, no. 10 (Oct. 1984): Pages 59-68
KeywordsFormaldehyde, ventilation rate, literature reviews, particleboard, plywood, board loading
- Emission of formaldehyde by particleboard : effect of ventilation rate and loading on air-contamination levels
- The effects of temperature and humidity on formaldehyde emission from UF-bonded boards : a literature critique
- Formaldehyde emission from particleboard and plywood paneling : measurement, mechanism, and product standards
XML: View XML