Skip to Main Content
Coagulation pretreatment for ultrafiltration of deinking effluents containing flexographic inksAuthor(s): Bruno Chabot; Gopal A. Krishnagopalan; Said Abubakr
Source: Progress in paper recycling. (Nov. 1999): Pages 46-55
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (242 KB)
DescriptionThis study was carried out to determine the potential of coagulation pretreatment with organic or inorganic coagulants to improve ultrafiltration performance during processing of wash deinking effluents containing flexographic inks. Wash filtrate effluents generated from mixtures of old flexographic and offset newspapers and old magazines were pretreated with a cationic coagulant and alum before ultrafiltration. Membrane performance was assessed from permeate flux, fouling rate, and ease of membrane regeneration. Coagulation pretreatment of wash filtrate effluents with a commercial cationic coagulant or alum significantly improved ultrafiltration and reduced fouling up to a coagulant concentration of 10 mg/L. Addition of an excessive amount of a cationic coagulant had a very detrimental effect on membrane performance. Alum had a better effect on permeation rate with less fouling tendency compared to the cationic coagulant studied. The methods of analysis used to determine dissolved and colloidal substances removals were not sensitive enough to establish a correlation between substance removal and ultra-filtration performance.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChabot, Bruno; Krishnagopalan, Gopal A.; Abubakr, Said. 1999. Coagulation pretreatment for ultrafiltration of deinking effluents containing flexographic inks. Progress in paper recycling. (Nov. 1999): Pages 46-55
KeywordsCoagulant, deinking, effluent, flexography, magazines, newspapers, ultrafiltration, washing
- Flexographic newspaper deinking : treatment of wash filtrate effluent by membrane technology
- Ultrafiltrative deinking of flexographic ONP : the role of surfactants
- Scale-up study of oxalic acid pretreatment of agricultural lignocellulosic biomass for the production of bioethanol
XML: View XML