Skip to Main Content
Reaction of [rho]-hydroxycinnamyl alcohols with transition metal salts. 3, Preparation and NMR characterization of improved DHPSAuthor(s): Lawrence L. Landucci
Source: Journal of wood chemistry and technology. Vol. 20, no. 3 (2000): Pages 243-264
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (299 KB)
DescriptionDehydropolymerization of [rho]-hydroxycinnamyl alcohols with manganese(III) acetate in either aqueous acetic acid or pyridine resulted in dehydropolymers (DHPs) that more closely approximate the structure of natural lignins than do DHPs produced by enzymic techniques. The 13C NMR spectrum of a "biomimetic" guaiacyl-DHP (G-DHP) from coniferyl alcohol was very similar to that of a lignin isolated from spruce wood, unlike a corresponding spectrum of a G-DHP prepared by a conventional enzymic technique. A similar comparison between a biomimetic guaiacyl/syringyl DHP (GS-DHP), a conventional GS-DHP, and a natural lignin from elm wood also confirmed a closer resemblance between the biomimetic DHP and the natural lignin. Likewise, a biomimetic S-DHP prepared from sinapyl alcohol was remarkably similar to a high syringyl fraction of lignin isolated from birch wood. The flexibility of the biomimetic approach is illustrated by the preparation of a DHP that is enriched in coniferaldehyde entities and one that is almost devoid of free-phenolic entities.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLanducci, Lawrence L. 2000. Reaction of [rho]-hydroxycinnamyl alcohols with transition metal salts. 3, Preparation and NMR characterization of improved DHPS. Journal of wood chemistry and technology. Vol. 20, no. 3 (2000): Pages 243-264
KeywordsHydroxycinnamyl alcohols, transition metal salts, NMR spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, DHPS, dehydropolymers
- Structural changes of residual lignin of softwood and hardwood kraft pulp upon oxidative treatment with polyoxometalates
- FT-Raman study of dehydrogenation polymer (DHP) lignins
- Determination of ethylenic residues in wood and TMP of spruce by FT-Raman spectroscopy
XML: View XML