Skip to Main Content
The aggregate timberland assessment systemATLAS: a comprehensive timber projection model.Author(s): J.R. Mills; J.C. Kincaid
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-281. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (2.5 MB)
DescriptionThe aggregate timberland assessment system is a time-based deterministic timber projection model. It was developed by the USDA Forest Service to address broad policy questions related to future timber supplies for the 1989 Renewable Resources Planning Act timber assessment. An open framework design allows for customizing inputs to account for regional and subregional growth and yield characteristics, predictions of change in land use, assumptions of future timber management practices, and projections of future demand for stumpage. As inputs, timberland inventories are aggregated into strata by age class, growth, yield, and management characteristics. Strata are projected through time with the use of yield tables and density change functions. Simulations can differ in size and complexity from a single stratum to over 10,000. The projection system will be of benefit to those requiring knowledge of current and future timber situations, including analysts, planners, economists, and policy makers. This publication is intended to help users gain knowledge and understanding necessary to make both basic and complex timber projections.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMills, J.R.; Kincaid, J.C. 1992. The aggregate timberland assessment systemATLAS: a comprehensive timber projection model. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-281. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station
KeywordsTimber projection model, harvest scheduling, economic analysis, forest sector analysis, forest policy
- TRIM timber projections: an evaluation based on forest inventory measurements.
- Growth and yield model application in tropical rain forest management
- The Timber Resource Inventory Model (TRIM): a projection model for timber supply and policy analysis.
XML: View XML