Skip to Main Content
CONSUME: users guide.Author(s): R.D. Ottmar; M.F. Burns; J.N. Hall; A.D. Hanson
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-304. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (1.34 MB)
DescriptionCONSUME is a user-friendly computer program designed for resource managers with some working knowledge of IBM-PC applications. The software predicts the amount of fuel consumption on logged units based on weather data, the amount and fuel moisture of fuels, and a number of other factors. Using these predictions, the resource manager can accurately determine when and where to conduct a prescribed burn to achieve desired objectives, while reducing impacts on other resources. CONSUME can be used for most broadcast and underburns on forested lands in the western states if the woody fuels are relatively homogeneous and composed of Douglas-fir, hemlock, alder, lodgepole pine, or mixed-conifer species. The models within CONSUME have not been adequately evaluated for long-needled pine fuel types at this time.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationOttmar, R.D.; Burns, M.F.; Hall, J.N.; Hanson, A.D. 1993. CONSUME: users guide. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-304. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station.
KeywordsPrescribed burning, woody fuel consumption, duff consumption, fuel moisture
- Notes on the biology of Scymnus (Pullus) coniferarum: an adelgid predator
- Phenology and Synchrony of Scymnus coniferarum (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) with Multiple Adelgid Species in the Puget Sound, WA, USA
- Silviculture and stand dynamics of hemlock-dominated stands in southern New England: some lessons from early research
XML: View XML