Skip to Main Content
Dimerization of A-[alpha]-[SiNb3W9O40]7- by pH-controlled formation of individual Nb−µ-O−Nb linkagesAuthor(s): Gyu-Shik Kim; Huadong Zeng; Wade A. Neiwert; Jennifer J. Cowan; Donald VanDerveer; Craig L. Hill; Ira A. Weinstock
Source: Inorganic chemistry. Vol. 42, no. 18 (2003): Pages 5537-5544
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (139 KB)
DescriptionThe reversible, stepwise formation of individual Nb−µ-O−Nb linkages during acid condensation of 2 equiv of A-[alpha]-[SiNb3W9O40]7- (1) to the tri-µ-oxo-bridged structure A-[alpha]-[Si2Nb6W18O77]8- (4) is demonstrated by a combination of X-ray crystallography and variable-pD solution 183W and 29Si NMR spectroscopy. Addition of DCl to a pD 8.4 solution of 1 (Li+ salt in D2O) results in formation of a mono-Nb−µ-O−Nb-linked dimer, A-[alpha]-[Si2Nb6W18O79]12- (2; pD = 3.0−1.3). At pD values between 1.6 and 0.3, two isomers (syn and anti) of the di-µ-oxo-bridged dimer, A-[alpha]-[Si2Nb6W18O78]10- (3), are observed by 183W NMR (C2v and C2h symmetry for the syn and anti isomers, respectively; 5 183W NMR signals for each isomer in the ratio 2:2:2:2:1). X-ray-quality crystals of syn-3 were isolated in 53% yield (syn-A-[alpha]-Cs8H2[Si2Nb6W18O78]‚18H2O, orthorhombic, Cmcm, a = 40.847(2), b = 13.2130(7), and c = 16.8179(9) Å at 173K, Z = 4, final R1 = 0.0685). At the low-pD limit of −0.08 (1.2 M DCl), 4 alone is observed. Additional supporting data are provided by variable-pD 29Si NMR spectroscopy. Reversibility of the above processes was subsequently demonstrated by acquisition of 183W NMR spectra after incremental additions of LiOH to D2O solutions of 4 to effect its stepwise hydrolysis to 2 equiv of 1.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKim, Gyu-Shik; Zeng, Huadong; Neiwert, Wade A.; Cowan, Jennifer J.; VanDerveer, Donald; Hill, Craig L.; Weinstock, Ira A. 2003. Dimerization of A-[alpha]-[SiNb3W9O40]7- by pH-controlled formation of individual Nb−µ-O−Nb linkages. Inorganic chemistry. Vol. 42, no. 18 (2003): Pages 5537-5544
KeywordsPolyoxometalates, POM, dimerization, X-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy
- Stability and structure in [alpha]- and [beta]-keggin heteropolytungstates, [Xn+W12O40](8-n)-, X = p-block cation
- Conundrums regarding 5–O–4- linkages in softwood MWLs
- Solution-state NMR analysis of hydroxymethylated resorcinol cured in the presence of crude milled-wood lignin from Acer saccharum
XML: View XML