Skip to Main Content
Defining wilderness quality: the role of standards in wilderness managementa workshop proceedings.Author(s): B. Shelby; G. Stankey; B. Shindler
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-305. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 114 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (1.7 MB)
DescriptionIntegral to maintaining wilderness quality is the implementation of ecological, social, and management standards. A substantial body of wilderness research management experience exists nationwide as a common-pool resource for professionals with a specialized interest in incorporating standards into planning processes. In a 2-day interactive workshop, wilderness managements and researchers joined together to assess the current use of standards, summarize and integrate what has been learned, capitalize on the diversity of this work, and develop ideas about directions for the future. The 14 papers in this proceedings represent their collaborative efforts.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShelby, B.; Stankey, G.; Shindler, B. 1992. Defining wilderness quality: the role of standards in wilderness managementa workshop proceedings. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-305. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 114 p
KeywordsWilderness management, wilderness standards, management objectives, environmental impacts, environmental indicators, monitoring
- Defining and managing the quality of wilderness recreation experiences
- Wilderness management principles: science, logical thinking or personal opinion?
- Managing for wilderness experiences in the 21st Century: Responding to the recent wilderness critique
XML: View XML