Skip to Main Content
Quality control troubleshooting tools for the mill floorAuthor(s): John Dramm
Source: Proceedings : Wood Technology Clinic and Show Conference, 2000 March 15-17, Portland, OR. [S.l. : s.n., 2000]: 17 pages
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (75 KB)
DescriptionStatistical Process Control (SPC) provides effective tools for improving process quality in the forest products industry resulting in reduced costs and improved productivity. Implementing SPC helps identify and locate problems that occur in wood products manufacturing. SPC tools achieve their real value when applied on the mill floor for monitoring and troubleshooting processing problems. This paper looks at SPC tools called control charts and describes the interpretation of statistical process control information as it relates to troubleshooting processing problems and improved mill efficiency. The presentation is designed to bridge the gap between quality control and process performance problems encountered on the mill floor. Example control charts with step-by-step procedures show how control charts help identify processing and quality problems. A case study is presented to illustrate the benefits of such things as lumber size control, tightening up, and improved mill efficiency.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDramm, John. 2000. Quality control troubleshooting tools for the mill floor. Proceedings : Wood Technology Clinic and Show Conference, 2000 March 15-17, Portland, OR. [S.l. : s.n., 2000]: 17 pages
KeywordsQuality control, statistical process control, SPC, forest products industry
- Mineral scale management Part III, Nonprocess elements in the paper industry
- Results-driven approach to improving quality and productivity
- Guidelines for producing quality longleaf pine seeds
XML: View XML