Skip to Main Content
Screw withdrawal : a means to evaluate densities of in-situ wood membersAuthor(s): Zhiyong Cai; Michael O. Hunt; Robert J. Ross; Lawrence A. Soltis
Source: Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Nondestructive Testing of Wood : August 19-21, 2002, University of California, Berkeley Campus California, USA. Madison, WI : Forest Products Society, 2003: Pages 277-281
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (81 KB)
DescriptionDynamic modulus of elasticity (MOE) of a wood member is defined as the product of its density and square of stress wave speed. The dynamic MOE, which is highly correlated to the static MOE, is commonly used to estimate the load carrying capacity and serviceability of in-situ wood members. The stress wave speed can be estimated using ultrasonic, impact, or vibration techniques. However, nondestructive evaluation of density in place is more difficult than under laboratory conditions. Screw withdrawal resistance, one of the techniques that could be used to estimate the density, was examined on wood samples salvaged from old buildings. The results show that there is a good correlation relationship between screw withdrawal strength and the density. The result of screw withdrawal test on salvaged joists indicates that there is a good relationship between the static MOE and the dynamic MOE which is calculated based on the estimated density.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCai, Zhiyong; Hunt, Michael O.; Ross, Robert J.; Soltis, Lawrence A. 2003. Screw withdrawal : a means to evaluate densities of in-situ wood members. Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Nondestructive Testing of Wood : August 19-21, 2002, University of California, Berkeley Campus California, USA. Madison, WI : Forest Products Society, 2003: Pages 277-281
KeywordsScrew withdrawal, modulus of elasticity, wood density, nondestructive testing
- Nondestructive evaluation of green wood using stress wave and transverse vibration techniques
- Diameter effect on stress-wave evaluation of modulus of elasticity of logs
- Nondestructive methods of evaluating quality of wood in preservative-treated piles
XML: View XML