Skip to Main Content
3D engineered fiberboard : finite element analysis of a new building productAuthor(s): John F. Hunt
Source: 2004 International ANSYS Conference, Pittsburg, PA, May 24-26, 2004 [CD-ROM]. [S.l. : s.n., 2004]: 20 pages
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (222 KB)
DescriptionThis paper presents finite element analyses that are being used to analyze and estimate the structural performance of a new product called 3D engineered fiberboard in bending and flat-wise compression applications. A 3x3x2 split-plot experimental design was used to vary geometry configurations to determine their effect on performance properties. The models are based on a simple corrugated geometry. Both 2D and 3D analyses were used for the compression and bending simulations, respectively. The material properties used in this analysis were obtained from tensile tests of flat panels made from processed tree top material. These finite element models have provided the ability to manipulate design configurations to estimate performance. The results show slight variations in core geometry produces significantly different and non-intuitive deformation and buckling results. These results also demonstrate the need for using a finite element approach to analyze non-symmetric non-uniform geometries because what seems to be good simplifying assumptions using engineering equations but may lead to significant errors in determining deformation responses or needed stiffness in a design.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHunt, John F. 2004. 3D engineered fiberboard : finite element analysis of a new building product. 2004 International ANSYS Conference, Pittsburg, PA, May 24-26, 2004 [CD-ROM]. [S.l. : s.n., 2004]: 20 pages
Keywords3D engineered fiberboard, fiberboard, finite element analysis, bending tests, compression tests
- Nonlinear finite element modeling of corrugated board
- Orthogonal model and experimental data for analyzing wood-fiber-based tri-axial ribbed structural panels in bending
- Bending analyses for 3D engineered structural panels made from laminated paper and carbon fabric
XML: View XML