Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Crystallization behavior of polyamide-6 microcellular nanocompositesAuthor(s): Mingjun Yuan; Lih-Sheng Turng; Shaoqin Gong; Andreas Winardi
Source: Journal of cellular plastics. Vol. 40 (Sept. 2004): Pages 397-409
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (205 KB)
DescriptionThe crystallization behaviors of polyamide-6 (PA-6) and its nanocomposites undergoing the microcellular injection molding process are studied using Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM), X-ray Diffractometer (XRD), Polarized Optical Microscopy (POM), and Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC). The relationships among the morphology, the mechanical property of the molded parts, and the crystallization behavior are investigated. With the addition of nanoclays in microcellular injection molded parts, the growth of the a -form crystal is suppressed and the formation of g -form crystals is promoted. Both nanoclay and dissolved gas have a big influence on PA-6 crystalline structures. The existence of nanoclay increases the initial crystallization rate. But with extra addition of nanoclays in the polymer matrix, the increase of crystallization rate is reduced. Microcellular injection molded nanocomposites with proper amount of nanoclays possess the maximum crystallization activation energy and produce a finer and denser microcell structure which leads to better mechanical properties.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationYuan, Mingjun; Turng, Lih-Sheng; Gong, Shaoqin; Winardi, Andreas. 2004. Crystallization behavior of polyamide-6 microcellular nanocomposites. Journal of cellular plastics. Vol. 40 (Sept. 2004): Pages 397-409
KeywordsMicrocellular injection molding, polyamide-6, nanocomposite, crystallization, montmorillonite, (MMT)
- Applications of nanocomposites and woodfiber plastics for microcellular injection molding
- Study of injection molded microcellular polyamide-6 nanocomposites
- Applications of polyamide/cellulose fiber/wollastonite composites for microcellular injection molding
XML: View XML