Skip to Main Content
National measures of forest productivity for timberAuthor(s): Peter J. Ince; H. Edward Dickerhoof; H. Fred Kaiser
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. FPL-GTR-61. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory; 1989. 14 pages
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (382 KB)
DescriptionThis report presents national measures of forest productivity for timber. These measures reveal trends in the relationship between quantity of timber produced by forests and the quantity of forest resources employed in timber production. Timber production is measured by net annual growth of timber and annual timber removals. Measures of timber productivity include annual growth per acre and indexes of growth/inventory and removals/inventory. Information is presented separately for softwood and hardwood timber. National timber data are obtained from national compilations of Forest Service timber survey data for the years 1952,1962,1970,1977, and 1987. The data are compiled for the United States as a whole, for four principal land ownership categories (forest industry, other private, National Forests, and other public agencies), and for three principal regions (North, South, and West). The measures of timber productivity reflect the performance of forests as measured by annual timber growth and harvest yields (the principal component of removals) in relation to the timber inventory and timberland area. These productivity measures provide a concise and comprehensive view of the overall timber productivity in the United States for the past 35 years. The measured productivity reflects amount and structure of the inventory and timberland area, trends in forest management, technology improvements, new investments, and various legal requirements influencing timber management, particularly on public lands.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationInce, Peter J.; Fedkiw, John; Dickerhoof, H. Edward; Kaiser, H. Fred. 1989. National measures of forest productivity for timber. Gen. Tech. Rep. FPL-GTR-61. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory; 1989. 14 pages
KeywordsForest productivity, timber, national indexes
- Summary estimates of forest resources on unreserved lands of the Chatham inventory unit, Tongass National Forest, southeast Alaska, 1998.
- Summary estimates of forest resources on unreserved lands of the Ketchikan inventory unit, Tongass National Forest, southeast Alaska, 1998.
- Summary estimates of forest resources on unreserved lands of the Stikine inventory unit, Tongass National Forest, southeast Alaska, 1998.
XML: View XML