Skip to Main Content
Revision of the net-winged midges of the genus Blepharicera macquart (diptera: blephariceridae) of eastern North AmericaAuthor(s): Gregory W. Courtney
Source: The Entomological Society of Washington No. 23, p. 1-99
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (9.5 MB)
DescriptionThe net-winged midges (Diptera: Blephariceridae: Blepharicera Macquart) of eastern North America are revised to include 16 species. Seven new species are described: B. caudata, n. sp., B. chooga, n. sp, B. corniculata, n. sp., B. magna, n. sp., and B. tuberosa, n. sp. from the southern Appalachians; B. gelida, a sp. from the central and southern Appalachians; and B. hispida, n. sp. from the central and northern Appalachians. Previously unknown life stages of B. capitafa Loew, B. cherokea Hogue, B. diminutiva Hogue, and B. separata Alexander species raised from synonymy, are described, and a redescription of adult B. separata is given. Also provided are an overview of blepharicerid natural history, keys to larvae, pupae, and adults of all eastern Blepharicera, and brief discussions of the bionomics and distribution of each species.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCourtney, Gregory W. 2000. Revision of the net-winged midges of the genus Blepharicera macquart (diptera: blephariceridae) of eastern North America. The Entomological Society of Washington No. 23, p. 1-99
KeywordsBlephariceridae, net-winged midges, Blepharicera, Appalachians
- The world species of Balcha Walker (Hymenoptera: Chalcidoidea: Eupelmidae), parasitoids of wood-boring beetles
- The genus Enlinia Aldrich in Chile (Diptera: Dolichopodidae), with the description of four new species
- Pseudoparasitus thatcheri n. sp. (Acarina: Dermanyssidae, Laelapinae) associated with southern pine beetles
XML: View XML