Statistical estimators for monitoring spotted owls in Oregon and Washington in 1987.Author(s): Tlmothy A. Max; Ray A. Souter; Kathleen A. O'Halloran
Source: Res. Pap. PNW-RP-420. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 13 p
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (670 KB)
DescriptionSpotted owls (Strix occidentalis) were monitored on 11 National Forests in the Pacific Northwest Region of the USDA Forest Service between March and August of 1987. The basic intent of monitoring was to provide estimates of occupancy and reproduction rates for pairs of spotted owls. This paper documents the technical details of the statistical estimation procedures used to produce all the estimates resulting from that effort. All relevant formulae are presented as well as decisions made about collapsing strata to estimate variances. Some complicating aspects of the monitoring effort are also discussed.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMax, Tlmothy A.; Souter, Ray A.; O''Halloran, Kathleen A. 1990. Statistical estimators for monitoring spotted owls in Oregon and Washington in 1987. Res. Pap. PNW-RP-420. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 13 p
KeywordsSpotted owl, Strix occidentalis, sampling, stratified random sampling, monitoring
- Mapping older forests: satellites, statistics, and boots on the ground
- Thinning effects on spotted owl prey and other forest-dwelling small mammals
- Squirrels cannot live by truffles alone: a closer look at a northwest keystone complex.
XML: View XML