Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Preliminary classification of forest vegetation of the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska.Author(s): K.M. Reynolds
Source: Res. Pap. PNW-RP-424. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 67 p
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (3.03 MB)
DescriptionA total of 5,597 photo points was systematically located on 1:60,000-scale high altitude photographs of the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska; photo interpretation was used to classify the vegetation at each grid position. Of the total grid points, 12.3 percent were classified as timberland; 129 photo points within the timberland class were randomly selected for field survey. The number of sample points visited in each of three forest cover types (conifer, broadleaf, and mixed conifer-broadleaf) was proportional to the frequency of the cover type in the photo sample. Two-way indicator species analysis (TWlNSPAN) was used to develop a hierarchical classification of the forest communities observed on the peninsula. Brief descriptions are presented for the 11 recognized communities with a discussion of their relation to basic physiographic and edaphic characteristics.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationReynolds, K.M. 1990. Preliminary classification of forest vegetation of the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska. Res. Pap. PNW-RP-424. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 67 p
KeywordsVegetation classification, Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
- Forest resources of southeast Alaska, 2000: results of a single-phase systematic sample.
- The Pacific Northwest region vegetation and monitoring system.
- Forest statistics for Arkansas' Ouachita counties
XML: View XML