Skip to Main Content
Influence of family and nitrogen fertilizer on growth and nutrition of western hemlock seedlings.Author(s): M.A. Radwan; D.S. DeBell; J.E. Wilcox
Source: Res. Pap. PNW-RP-426. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 10 p
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (1.01 MB)
DescriptionEffects of genotype and nitrogen fertilizer on growth and shoot nutrients of western hemlock seedlings were determined by using 11 open-pollinated families from coastal Oregon and Washington. The families differed significantly in growth, initially and after one growing season after treatment. All seedlings responded well to fertilizer, and fertilization significantly affected concentration and content of shoot nutrients. Nutrient levels also differed significantly among families, but there were only few significant family x fertilizer interactions. Results suggest that selections of superior families of western hemlock can be made equally well with or without fertilizer.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRadwan, M.A.; DeBell, D.S.; Wilcox, J.E. 1990. Influence of family and nitrogen fertilizer on growth and nutrition of western hemlock seedlings. Res. Pap. PNW-RP-426. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 10 p
KeywordsFamily effects, fertilizer effects, family x fertilizer interaction, seedling growth, nutrients, western hemlock
- Effects of different sources of fertilizer nitrogen on growth and nutrition of western hemlock seedlings.
- Development of Sirococcus shoot blight following thinning in western hemlock regeneration.
- Genetic variation in rootability of cuttings from one-year-old western hemlock seedlings.
XML: View XML