Skip to Main Content
Financial analysis of early stand treatments in southwest Oregon.Author(s): Helge Eng; K. Norman Johnson; Roger D. Fight
Source: Res. Pap. PNW-RP-427. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 25 p
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (1.02 MB)
DescriptionManagement guidelines for economically efficient early stand treatments were developed by identifying treatments that would maximize financial returns over the rotation for coast Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii (Mirb.) Franco var. menziesii) in southwest Oregon. Short rotations and low stand densities (trees per acre) gave the highest financial returns in all cases. Usually precommercially thinning to a low stand density was more advantageous than planting at low density. Fertilization as soon as possible was always profitable. The financially optimal management regimes for low-cost and high-cost reforestation were identical if the returns justified keeping the site in forest production. Costly treatments were not financially justifiable on low productivity sites where reforestation is difficult unless investment conditions are favorable.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEng, Helge; Johnson, K. Norman; Fight, Roger D. 1990. Financial analysis of early stand treatments in southwest Oregon. Res. Pap. PNW-RP-427. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 25 p
KeywordsDouglas-fir (coast), financial analysis, stand-level optimization, young growth management
- Analysts guide: TreeVal for Windows, Version 2.0.
- Extended rotations and culmination age of coast Douglas-fir: old studies speak to current issues.
- DFPRUNE users guide.
XML: View XML