Skip to Main Content
Genetic interaction of the fusiform rust fungus with resistance gene FR1 in loblolly pineAuthor(s): Thomas L. Kubisiak; Henry V. Amerson; C. Dana Nelson
Source: Phytopathology 95:376-380
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (118 KB)
DescriptionWe propose a method for defining DNA markers linked to Cronartium quercuum f. sp. fusiforme avirulence (Avr) genes. However, before this method can be successfully employed, a spore competition study was needed to determine the genetic composition of single pycnial drops and multiple drops on single galls when using the standard inoculation procedure, whether virulent (avr1) basidiospores ever predispose some resistant (Fr1/fr1) trees to infection by avirulent (Avr1) basidiospores, and whether avr1 and Avr1 basidiospores equally infect susceptible (fr1/fr1) trees. Results of this study suggest that multiple infections within a single gall are common using the concentrated basidiospore system, resulting onaverage in >4 infection events per tree. Due to multiple infections within a single gall, an individual pycnial drop cannot be assumed to consist of spores from only a single haploid pycnium. Roughly 57% of the drops harvested were found to consist of more than one haploid genotype, most likely due to the physical mixing of spores from genetically different pycnia. Most importantly, although multiple infections do occur in the formation of a single gall, there is no evidence to suggest that the genetics of the proposed gene-for-gene interaction are compromised. Only avr1 basidiospores were observed to cause infection on Fr1/fr1 trees, whereas both avr1 and Avr1 basidiospores were observed to cause infection on fr1/fr1 trees, albeit not at equal frequencies.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKubisiak, Thomas L.; Amerson, Henry V.; Nelson, C. Dana 2005. Genetic interaction of the fusiform rust fungus with resistance gene FR1 in loblolly pine. Phytopathology 95:376-380
- Microsatellite DNA suggests regional structure in the fusiform rust fungus Cronartium quercuum f. sp fusiforme
- A genomic map enriched for markers linked to Avr1 in Cronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiforme
- Mapping fusiform rust resistance genes within a complex mating design of loblolly pine
XML: View XML