Skip to Main Content
Landscape approaches to stream fish mechanistic aspects of habitat selection and behavioral ecology. Introduction and commentaryAuthor(s): Pedro A. Rincón; N.F. Hughes; Gary D. Grossman
Source: Ecology of Freshwater Fish 2000: 9: 1-3
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (243 KB)
DescriptionThe Ecology of Stream Fish Symposium (Lobón-Cerviá & Mortensen 1999) was structured as a number sessions destined to showcase the latest developments and prospects for the future in areas of research that, in the opinion of the meeting's Steering Committee and organizers, held particular interest. Convinced of the benefits of research that integrates across fields, the Committee contemplated this division into subtopics as a sort of "necessary evil" imposed by logistics and not without some apprehension about how it may affect the snapshot of current research the Committee hoped the Symposium to offer. The inherent artificiality of this, or any other, rigid scheme was amply confirmed as soon as proposals for presentations started arriving. It was often apparent that slight shifts of emphasis would have allowed the comfortable lodging of the same presentation in different sessions. Fortunately, the Symposium's size did not require running sessions simultaneously, and all participants could attend all talks if they so wished. As a consequence, audiences were always diverse in terms of the research areas represented in them, and this greatly helped to bring out the cross-field aspects of presentations in the subsequent periods for comment and discussion. Thus, common ideas and themes that had attracted the attention of researchers with varied perspectives and primary interests were highlighted, and there was abundant opportunity for the enriching insight provided by views of a certain topic from different angles.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRincón, Pedro A.; Hughes, N.F.; Grossman, Gary D. 2000. Landscape approaches to stream fish mechanistic aspects of habitat selection and behavioral ecology. Introduction and commentary. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 2000: 9: 1-3
- Conservation efforts and possibilities for increased collaboration in the Santa Cruz River watershed
- IUFRO Symposium on forest site and continuous productivity: Seattle, Washington, August 22-28, 1982.
- The Bitterroot Ecosystem Management Research Project: What we have learned
XML: View XML