Skip to Main Content
Survey of local forestry-related ordinances and regulations in the southAuthor(s): Jonathan J. Spink; Karry L. Haney; John L. Greene
Source: Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Southern Forest Economics Workers (2000), p. 41-46
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (517 KB)
DescriptionA survey of the 13 southern states was conducted in 1999-2000 to obtain a comprehensive list of forestry-related ordinances enacted by various local governments. Each ordinance was examined to determine the date of adoption, regulatory objective, and its regu1atory provisions. Based on the regulatory objective, the ordinances were categorized into five general types: environmental protection, tree protection, public property protection/safety, timber harvesting, and special feature protection. Current survey results were cormpared to a similar study (Martus 1992) to analyze the changes that have occurred in the South regarding local regulation. The 2000 study identified 346 forestry-related ordinances in 10 of the 13 southern states. This is a substantial increase from the previous study, which reported 141 ordinances in seven southern states. As with the 1992 study, the 2000 survey found that the protection of public roadways and public safety is the predominant objective of ordinances passed in the South. This survey shows an increasing trend in the number of local ordinances impacting forestry activities. Approximately 80 percent of the existing ordinances have been enacted in the last 10 years.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSpink, Jonathan J.; Haney, Karry L., Jr.; Greene, John L. 2000. Survey of local forestry-related ordinances and regulations in the south. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Southern Forest Economics Workers (2000), p. 41-46
- County and municipal ordinances to protect wildland-urban interface communities
- Mitigating Wildfire Risk in the Wildland Urban Interface: The Role of Regulations
- Southern pulpwood production, 2014
XML: View XML