Skip to Main Content
Effects of Nantucket pine tip moth insecticide spray schedules on loblolly pine seedlingsAuthor(s): Christopher J. Fettig; Kenneth W. McCravy; C. Wayne Berisford
Source: Southern Journal of Applied Forestry 24(2):106-111
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (643 KB)
DescriptionFrequent and prolonged insecticide applications to control the Nantucket pine tip moth, Rhyacionia frustrana (Comstock) (Lepidoptera:Torticidae) (NPTM), although effective, may be impractical and uneconomica1, for commercial timber production. Timed insecticide sprays of permethrin (Polmce 3.2® EC) were applied to all possible combinations of spray schedules for three annual NPTM generations during the first, second, and first and second years following stand establishment. An optimal insecticide spray schedule that minimized the rzurnber of costly irzsecticide app1icatiorz.s rind maximized volurne index in lohlolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) was determined by applying a single spray chiring the first generation of the first and second years following planting. This schedule eliminates four sprays over a 2 yr period when compared to standard insecticide application schedu1es and has important implications toward establishing an integrated pest management program for this common regeneration pest.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFettig, Christopher J.; McCravy, Kenneth W.; Berisford, C. Wayne. 2000. Effects of Nantucket pine tip moth insecticide spray schedules on loblolly pine seedlings. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry 24(2):106-111
- Efficacy tests and determination of optimal spray timing values to control nantucket pine tip moth - (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) infestation
- Herbaceous Weed Control Trials with a Planting Machine Sprayer and a Crawler-Tractor Sprayer--Fourth Year Pine Response.
- Evaluation of candidate insecticides for control of the nantucket pine tip moth (Lepidoptera:Tortricidae)
XML: View XML