Skip to Main Content
Clear exterior finishes : finding the balance between aesthetics and durabilityAuthor(s): Tom Daniel; Marc S. Hirsch; Ken McClelland; Alan S. Ross; R. Sam Williams
Source: JCT coatings tech. Vol. 1, no. 9 (Sept. 2004): Pages 42-48
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (180 KB)
DescriptionConsumers can easily be confused by the abundance of choices to make when selecting a clear wood finish. There are many types of clear finishes with different characteristics and product claims. This article is designed to help consumers sort out the different finishes and effectively choose which product would be best for their purpose. First, we cover the causes and mechanism of wood degradation. It is important to know what we are protecting wood from rand why. Then we describe in detail the different kinds of clear wood finishes and how they are designed to work. We also cover the attributes of wood as a building material, which explains why people are so interested in using it in the first place.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDaniel, Tom; Hirsch, Marc S.; McClelland, Ken; Ross, Alan S.; Williams, R. Sam. 2004. Clear exterior finishes : finding the balance between aesthetics and durability. JCT coatings tech. Vol. 1, no. 9 (Sept. 2004): Pages 42-48
KeywordsExterior finishes, finishes, aesthetics, durability
- Best of both worlds : clear exterior finishes : in search of finishes that protect wood without hiding its natural beauty
- Finishability of CCA pressure-treated wood
- Performance of finishes on western juniper lumber and particleboard during outdoor exposure
XML: View XML