Skip to Main Content
The National Fire Danger Rating System: Derivation of Spread Index for Eastern and Southern StatesAuthor(s): Ralph M. Nelson
Source: Res. Pap. SE-13. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 44 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Southeastern Forest Experiment Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.9 MB)
DescriptionPresents standards for locating, operating, and maintaining forest fire danger stations in Eastern and Southern States. Includes tables and forms for deriving the Spread Index of the new National Fire-Danger Rating System.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNelson, Ralph M. 1964. The National Fire Danger Rating System: Derivation of Spread Index for Eastern and Southern States. Res. Pap. SE-13. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 44 p.
- FIRES: Fire Information Retrieval and Evaluation System - A program for fire danger rating analysis
- How to generate and interpret fire characteristics charts for the U.S. fire danger rating system
- Development of a national forest fire danger system for Mexico
XML: View XML