Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
An instructional guide for leaf color analysis using digital imaging softwareAuthor(s): Paula F. Murakami; Michelle R. Turner; Abby K. van den Berg; Paul G. Schaberg
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-327. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 33 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
View PDF (5.37 MB)
DescriptionDigital color analysis has become an increasingly popular and cost-effective method utilized by resource managers and scientists for evaluating foliar nutrition and health in response to environmental stresses. We developed and tested a new method of digital image analysis that uses Scion Image or NIH image public domain software to quantify leaf color. This publication provides instructions for using this software to measure the percentage green and red in leaves, colors of particular importance for the assessment of plant health. Comparisons of results from digital analyses of 326 scanned images of leaves and concurrent spectrophotometric measures of chlorophyll a, chlorophyll b, and anthocyanins verify that image analysis provides a reliable quantitative measure of leaf color and the relative concentrations of underlying plant pigments.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationMurakami, Paula F.; Turner, Michelle R.; van den Berg, Abby K.; Schaberg, Paul G. 2005. An instructional guide for leaf color analysis using digital imaging software. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-327. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 33 p.
Keywordschlorophyll, anthocyanin, leaf color, digital image, image analysis, Scion Image software, NIH Image software
- Association of red coloration with senescence of sugar maple leaves in autumn
- Evaluation of four methods for estimating leaf area of isolated trees
- ForestCrowns: a transparency estimation tool for digital photographs of forest canopies
XML: View XML