Skip to Main Content
Decay resistance of out-of-service utility poles as related to the distribution of residual creosote contentAuthor(s): Han Roliadi; Chung Y. Hse; Elvin T. Choong; Todd F. Shupe
Source: Forest Products Journal 50(11/12):64-68
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (627 KB)
DescriptionDecay resistance of out-of-service poles was investigated to evaluate their effectiveness against biodegradation for possible recycling of these poles for composite products. Decay resistance was related to creosote content and creosote distribution in poles with service durations of 5 and 25 years and also freshly treated poles. Weathering of the poles had caused reduction in creosote content such that the residual content of the outer and upper portions of the poles was lower than the inner and bottom portions. Overall residual creosote content in the 5-year poles was lower than in freshly treated poles, but still higher than in 25-year poles. Above a 14 percent level of residual creosote content, the decay resistance of weathered poles was still high. Below that level, the decay resistance decreased dramatically. Decay resistance of 5-year poles was mostly still comparable to freshly treated poles, while the decay resistance of 25-year poles, especially in the outer portions, was much lower and approaching that of untreated southern yellow pine. In reutilization of out-of-service poles for composite woodproducts, components with lesser creosote content should be placed in the interior, while those with higher creosote content are more suitable for the outer part.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRoliadi, Han; Hse, Chung Y.; Choong, Elvin T.; Shupe, Todd F. 2000. Decay resistance of out-of-service utility poles as related to the distribution of residual creosote content. Forest Products Journal 50(11/12):64-68
- Gluability of out-of-service utility poles
- Removal of creosote from wood particles at different horizontal and vertical locations of decommissioned poles using steam treatment
- Fifty-Year Durability Evaluation of Posts Treated with Industrial Wood Preservatives
XML: View XML