Skip to Main Content
Physical and mechanical properties of flakeboard produced from recycled CCA-treated woodAuthor(s): W. Li; T.F. Shupe; Chung-Yun Hse
Source: Forest Products Journal, Vol. 54, No. 2, p. 89-94
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (563 KB)
DescriptionChromated copper arsenate (CCA) treated wood has been most widely used in North America since the 1970s for many exterior applications such as decks, fences, playground equipment, utility poles, and others. A large volume of CCA-treated wood is currently coming out of service. Traditional disposal methods such as landfilling and incineration are not without adverse environmental outcomes. Recycling CCA-treated wood into composite products is one alternative to ease the disposal problem. In this study, the effects of different ratios of recycled CCA-treated wood and untreated virgin wood on flakeboard properties were compared. The mechanical, physical, and decay resistance properties of flakeboards manufactured from five different ratios of recycled CCA-treated wood and untreated virgin southern pine wood were investigated. The ratios were 100:0,75:25,50:50,25:75, and 0:100. The median ratio with 50 percent of CCA-treated wood and untreated wood was found to be the optimum combination. In this case, residual CCA level was sufficient enough to prevent substantial weight losses in the decay tests, but low enough so that panel mechanical and physical properties were not substantially reduced.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLi, W.; Shupe, T.F.; Hse, Chung-Yun. 2004. Physical and mechanical properties of flakeboard produced from recycled CCA-treated wood. Forest Products Journal, Vol. 54, No. 2, p. 89-94
- Recycling of decommissioned CCA-treated wood into value-added enigineered wood products
- Leaching of flakeboard produced from recycled CCA-treated wood into deionized water
- Reusing remediated CCA-treated wood
XML: View XML