Skip to Main Content
Remanat old-growth longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.) savannas and forests of the southeastern USA: Status and threatsAuthor(s): J. Moragan Varner; John S. Kush
Source: Natural Areas Journal, 24(2): 141-149
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.4 MB)
DescriptionOld-growth savannas and forests dominated by longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.) are of great conservation and research interest. Comprehensive inventories of old-growth communities, however, are lacking for most of longleaf pine's natural range. We searched the literature, interviewed regional experts, queried email discussion lists and newsletters, and made on-site inspections to compile a revised list of old-growth longleaf pine stands, their acreage and status. We found 15 old-growth longleaf pine stands covering 5095 ha in only four of the nine states in the natural range of longleaf pine. Our area estimate represents 0.004% of extant acreage and 0.00014% of the presettlement extent. Further, some community types (e.g., Piedmont, West Gulf Coastal Plain provinces) have no extant old-growth longleaf pine reference sites. Old-growth stand ownerships are diverse, with large tracts (>400 ha) in both public and private ownerships. Half of the remnants face serious management threats, most due to difficulty in managing fire in the contemporary southeastern landscape and tenuous land tenure. In light of the shrinking nature of this resource, statewide searches, restoration, and conservation should continue in earnest.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVarner, J. Moragan, III; Kush, John S. 2004. Remanat old-growth longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.) savannas and forests of the southeastern USA: Status and threats. Natural Areas Journal, 24(2): 141-149
KeywordsConservation, fire exclusion, old-growth forests, Pinus palustris, restoration
- Ecological forestry, old growth, and birds in the longleaf pine (Pinus palustris) ecosystem
- Longleaf pine (Pinus palustris ) Stand Dynamics: A Regional Longleaf Growth Study
- Genetic diversity in longleaf pine (Pinus palustris): influence of historical and prehistorical events
XML: View XML