Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
An information retrieval system for research file dataAuthor(s): Joan E. Lengel; John W. Koning
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. FPL-17. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory.  p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (440 KB)
DescriptionResearch file data have been successfully retrieved at the Forest Products Laboratory through a high-speed cross-referencing system involving the computer program FAMULUS as modified by the Madison Academic Computing Center at the University of Wisconsin. The method of data input, transfer to computer storage, system utilization, and effectiveness are discussed. Preliminary results indicate that the system is readily usable by either on-line or batch processing, resulting in minimum return of results of about 1/2 hour and a maximum wait of 24 hours. The vocabulary method of single keywords is used with certain modifications to improve the precision of the recalled data.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLengel, Joan E.; Koning, John W. 1978. An information retrieval system for research file data. Gen. Tech. Rep. FPL-17. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory.  p.
KeywordsInformation storage and retrieval systems, indexing, information retrieval, computers, information systems, Famulus, information science
- FORDAT : an information retrieval system for forest economic data
- Decision support systems for ecosystem management: An evaluation of existing systems
- THINEX - an expert system for estimating forest harvesting productivity and cost
XML: View XML