Skip to Main Content
Selection, production, procurement, and use of preservative treated wood : supplementing federal specification TT-W-571Author(s): Lee R. Gjovik; Roy H. Baechler
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. FPL-15. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 37 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (845 KB)
DescriptionThis report has been prepared to supplement Federal Specification TT-W-571 “Wood Preservation: Treating Practices.” developed for the General Services Administration by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, the Specification is used by Federal agencies, State agencies, and private users in procuring preservative-treated wood. The economical and practical procurement of treated wood demands a knowledge of wood deterioration and means of protection. The U.S. Forest Products Laboratory, the nation’s center for wood utilization research, has studied preservatives and their effects on wood for nearly three-quarters of a century. This report has been compiled to assist in the selection and procurement of treated wood products. It elucidates the technical details of the Specifications: the causes of wood deterioration, the nature and variety of preservatives, the advantages and disadvantages of different types of preservatives, and preservative treatment procedures for all uses and situations.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGjovik, Lee R.; Baechler, Roy H. 1977. Selection, production, procurement, and use of preservative treated wood : supplementing federal specification TT-W-571. Gen. Tech. Rep. FPL-15. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 37 p.
KeywordsWood preservatives, deterioration, protection, selection, production, wood preservation
- Common questions and concerns from government users of industrial treated wood products
- A comparison of wood preservatives in posts in southern Mississippi : results from a half-decade of testing
- The life and work of Bruce Johnson at the Forest Products Laboratory and in the American Wood Protection Association
XML: View XML