Skip to Main Content
Performance of nuttall oak (Quercus Texana Buckl.) provenances in the Western Gulf RegionAuthor(s): D.P. Gwaze; T.D. Byram; E.M. Raley
Source: In: Proceedings of the 27th Southern Forest Tree Improvement Conference, June 24-27, Stillwater, Oklahoma, ed. Mckinley, Craig R., p. 126-137
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (639 KB)
DescriptionThree series of three tests each of Nuttall oak (Quercus texana Buckl. formally Q. nuttallii Palmer) were established by the Western Gulf Forest Tree Improvement Program at three locations: Desha and Lonoke Counties in Arkansas and Sharkey County in Mississippi. The three series included 28-42 different half-sib families from throughout the natural range of Kuttall oak. Families were arbitrarily divided into provenances based on the river basin in which they originated. Significant provenance differences were found for survival in all series. Provenance differences for growth were highly significant for series 2 and 3, but not for series 1. The Red River provenance had the best growth performance in series 3 tests, but it was not represented in the other two test series. The best provenance in series 2, the Ouachita River provenance, ranked second in series 3 tests. The Western provenance performed well in series 1 and 3 tests but had poorer performance in series 2 tests. The interactions between site and provenance were significant for all growth traits in all series. Family-mean heritability estimates, however, were high ranging from 0.72-0.96 for height and 0.22-0.95 for diameter. There were good families from all sources indicating that family selection will be effective in this species.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationGwaze, D.P.; Byram, T.D.; Raley, E.M. 2003. Performance of nuttall oak (Quercus Texana Buckl.) provenances in the Western Gulf Region. In: Proceedings of the 27th Southern Forest Tree Improvement Conference, June 24-27, Stillwater, Oklahoma, ed. Mckinley, Craig R., p. 126-137
KeywordsProvenance variation, heritability, genotype x environment interactions, Nuttall oak, Quercus texana Buckl.
- Photosynthesis of Nuttall oak (Quercus nuttallii Palm.) seedlings interplanted beneath an eastern cottonwood (Populus deltoides Bartr. Ex Marsh.) nurse crop
- An Afforestation System for Restoring Bottomland Hardwood Forests: Biomass Accumulation of Nuttall Oak Seedlings Interplanted Beneath Eastern Cottonwood
- Nuttall Oak Direct Seedings Still Successful After 11 Years
XML: View XML