Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Kudzu eradication and managementAuthor(s): James H. Miller
Source: In: Hoots:, Diane; Baldwin, Juanitta, comps., eds. Kudzu the vine to love or hate. Kodak, TN: Suntop Press: 137-149.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (139 KB)
DescriptionKudzu patches can be eradicated with persistent treatments or they can be contained and managed with other treatment options. Herbicides, grazing, prescribed buring, and disk harrowing can be used as eradication or containment treatments. For eradication, every kudzu plant in and around a patch must be killed or the spread from any surviving plants can make all prior efforts and investments useless. This means that all landowners sharing a patch must arrange to treat the whole patch simultaneously.
Landowners often find herbicide applications the easiest means for eradication and containment but herbicides should only be applied according to exact label instructions, requirements, and prohibitions. Read, understand, and follow herbicide labels completely before and during use. Commercial firm that are licensed herbicide applicators can be contracted to perform herbicide applications, but in most cases the landowner must give directions if the treatment is to be successful and cost effective.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiller, James H. 1996. Kudzu eradication and management. In: Hoots:, Diane; Baldwin, Juanitta, comps., eds. Kudzu the vine to love or hate. Kodak, TN: Suntop Press: 137-149.
- Herbicide Tests For Kudzu Eradication
- Kudzu eradication trials testing fifteen herbicides
- Kudzu in Alabama History, Uses, and Control
XML: View XML