Skip to Main Content
RAPD markers linked to eastern filbert blight resistance in Corylus avellanaAuthor(s): S.A. Mehlenbacher; R.N. Brown; J.W. Davis; H. Chen; N.V. Bassil; D.C. Smith; Thomas L. Kubisiak
Source: Theor. Appl. Genet. 108: 651-656
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (478 KB)
DescriptionA total of 1,110 decamer primers were screened for RAPD markers linked to a dominant allele in hazelnut (Corylus avellana) that confers resistance to eastern filbert blight caused by Anisogramma anomnala. Twenty RAPD markers linked in coupling, and five markers linked in repulsion, were found. A seedling population was used to construct a linkage map of the region flanking the resistance locus. The map spans 46.6 cM, with 14 markers on one side of the resistance locus and eight on the other side. Eleven markers showed less than 3% recombination with resistance, including three that showed no recombination. Seven of these 11 markers are sufficiently robust to allow their use in marker-assisted selection. These include AA12850 which shows no recombination, and six markers on one side of the resistance locus: 173500, 152800, l22825, 2751130, H19650, and O161250. Marker 268580, which flanks the resistance locus on the other side, is also suitable for use in marker-assisted selection. but shows 5.8% recombination with resistance. Other markers are less suitable for marker-assisted selection because of sensitivity to changes in primer or MgCl2 concentration, or the long time required for electrophoresis to separate bands of similar size. The 16 markers closest to the resistance locus were cloned and sequenced. The W07365 marker, which showed no recombination with the resistance locus but is difficult to score, includes a CT microsatellite repeat. The sequence information will allow the design of SCAR primers and eventual map-based cloning of the resistance allele.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMehlenbacher, S.A.; Brown, R.N.; Davis, J.W.; Chen, H.; Bassil, N.V.; Smith, D.C.; Kubisiak, Thomas L. 2004. RAPD markers linked to eastern filbert blight resistance in Corylus avellana. Theor. Appl. Genet. 108: 651-656
- A genetic linkage map for hazelnut (Corylus avellana L.) based on RAPD and SSR markerswac
- High-resolution genetic and physical mapping of eastern filbert blight resistance in hazelnut
- Developing hazelnuts (Corylus spp.) with durable resistance to eastern filbert blight caused by Anisogramma anomala
XML: View XML