Skip to Main Content
Effects of forest disturbance and soil depth on digestible energy for moose and white-tailed deerAuthor(s): Hewlette S. Crawford; R. A. Lautenschlager; Martin R. Stokes; Timothy L. Stone
Source: Res. Pap. NE-682. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 13 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
View PDF (1.44 MB)
DescriptionSpruce budworm defoliation, clearcutting for salvage, and prescribed burning of clearcut areas on deep and shallow soils influenced deer and moose foraging in eastern Maine spruce-fir forests from 1980 to 1984. Plant standing crop biomass, seasonal plant selection by tractable moose and white-tailed deer, and digestible energy for deer and moose were determined for each treatment. Increase in biomass after defoliation was substantial. Deer and moose ate many of the same species, but in different proportions. Seasonal production of available energy by treatment was significantly different for moose year round and for deer during spring and fall: clearcut and burn > clearcut > defoliated > undefoliated (control).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationCrawford, Hewlette S.; Lautenschlager, R. A.; Stokes, Martin R.; Stone, Timothy L. 1993. Effects of forest disturbance and soil depth on digestible energy for moose and white-tailed deer. Res. Pap. NE-682. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 13 p.
- Forest disturbance type differentially affects seasonal moose forage
- The impact of tannins on protein, dry matter, and energy digestion in moose (Alces alces)
- Browse biomass removal and nutritional condition of Alaska moose Alces alces
XML: View XML