Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA) Hiring

Apply Using LMWFA Now!

The Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA) is a federal program that allows current or former time-limited employees of federal land management agencies to apply for permanent positions with the USDA Forest Service.


Eligibility Requirements

  • Currently working or have previously worked as temporary employee in a not-to-exceed appointment with a qualifying federal land management agency (USDA Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Bureau of Reclamation).
  • Worked in qualifying federal land management agencies for more than 24 months total without a break of 2 or more years.
  • Initially appointed using competitive procedures.
  • Received performance ratings that demonstrated an acceptable level of performance throughout the service period.
  • Did not separate from the agency by termination or resignation for misconduct or poor performance.

Required Documents

If you are claiming eligibility under the Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act, there are required documents that must be submitted with your application when applying to Forest Service job announcements on USAJOBS. The documents below are in addition to the required documents listed in the job announcement.

  • You must provide copies of your Notification of Personnel Actions (SF-50s) showing you have served in appropriate appointment(s) for a period/periods that total more than 24 months without a break in service of two or more years. You must include the initial hire actions, extensions, conversions, change in work schedule (full-time, part-time, or intermittent) and termination/separation SF-50s for each period of workIf you have intermittent service or leave without pay (LWOP), you will need to provide additional documentation.
    • Intermittent: Credit is only given for time actually worked in an intermittent work schedule.
      • You will need to provide SF-50s mentioned above and SF-50s for change in Service Computation Date (SCD), if applicable, to verify hours/days worked for all periods of intermittent service.
      • SF-1150s are acceptable if the SF-50s do not show intermittent time worked. It is your responsibility to submit documentation of time worked.
    • Leave without pay (LWOP): You will need to provide the SF-50s for taking LWOP and returning to duty for each period of LWOP over 30 calendar days. LWOP is credited for up to six months in a calendar year; anything beyond six months is not credited.
  • Performance Rating(s) or equivalent. You must provide the following documentation to verify your acceptable level of performance:
    • Performance rating(s) showing an acceptable level of performance for period(s) of employment counted towards your eligibility, signed by your supervisor(s); or
    • If documentation of a rating does not exist for one or more periods, a statement from your supervisor(s) or other individual in the chain of command indicating an acceptable level of performance for the period(s) of employment counted towards your eligibility; or
    • If you do not have a performance appraisal (outlined in 1 or 2 above) for any period that you are using to qualify for eligibility under the LMWFA, you must provide: A stated reason as to why the appraisal/documentation is not available, and a statement that your performance for all periods was at an acceptable level, your most recent separation was for reasons other than misconduct or performance, and you were never notified that you were not eligible for rehire based on performance. (This shall be accepted in lieu of providing copies of the performance appraisals).

How to Apply

The Forest Service accepts all job applications on USAJOBS connects job seekers with Federal employment opportunities across the United States and around the world. Please note that LMWFA eligibility provides opportunity, but does not guarantee Federal employment.  To apply for a position in the Forest Service under LMWFA:

  1. Visit
  2. Create a USAJOBS profile.
  3. Upload or create a Federal resume.
  4. Search for jobs in USAJOBS. You can limit searches to land management agency vacancies.
  5. Review the job announcement.
  6. Apply! On the application, include your interest and eligibility to be considered under LMWFA, including copies of Notification of Personnel Action forms from all periods of service and performance ratings signed by supervisors showing an acceptable level of performance.



Please direct questions about career opportunities and applications to Human Resources Management at 1-877-372-7248 (select Option 2 and follow prompts). The Contact Center is open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. (MST) Monday through Friday and closed on all federal holidays.

You can also find specific information related to Forest Service jobs on our Next Steps page, including our jobs resource directory, our webinar schedule, or contact information for our recruiters.