History of the Fishlake National Forest

Most National Forests were established at the turn of the 20th Century to allow wise use of the nation's resources. Many National Forests came into being after local residents asked for Government help to reclaim despoiled watersheds and overcut forests. Forest administrators were charged to provide "favorable conditions of water flow, and to furnish a continuous supply of timber for the use and necessities of the citizens of the United States."

People already were using these forest lands for other things. These activities continued after Congress officially designated the lands "National Forests." Land was used for grazing, hunting, prospecting, and occupied by roads, irrigation canals, mines, and schools. The Multiple Use-Sustained Yield Act of 1960 officially recognized National Forests as lands of many uses. The Act stated that Forests would be "administered for outdoor recreation, range, timber, watershed, and wildlife and fish purposes." The 1964 Wilderness Act added Wilderness as a legitimate use of National Forests.

With so much activity on the Forest, it may seem that things are getting crowded. They are. Recreation demand has grown dramatically since the 1950's and Forests today are the biggest supplier of outdoor recreation in the country. Because of this high demand, the Forest Service asks you to tread lightly and to obey the posted rules. The rules are there to help preserve the Forest for future generations.


History of the Fishlake National Forest

March 11, 1889
Fish Lake Water Agreement - Paiute Indian Tribe sold all rights and title to the Fremont Irrigation Company for the right to fish the outlet forever along with 9 horses, 500 lbs. flour, 1 good beef steer, and 1 suit of clothes.

February 10, 1899
The Fish Lake Forest Reserve of 67,840 acres was established by President William McKinley to protect the Fish Lake and Fremont River watersheds. The Fish Lake Basin was the first unit of what would eventually become the Fishlake National Forest.

May 2, 1906
Fillmore Forest Reserve of 399,600 acres established by President Theodore Roosevelt.

February 6, 1907
Glenwood Forest Reserve of 173,896 acres established by president Theodore Roosevelt

March 4, 1907
The name of National Reserve is changed to National Forest. The Fish Lake Forest Reserve officially became known as the Fishlake National Forest.

1907: Headquarters of the Fishlake National Forest located in Salina, Utah

June 18, 1908
Beaver and Fillmore Forests combined to form the Fillmore National Forest.

July 1, 1908
Glenwood and Fishlake Forests combined to form the Fishlake National Forest

Sept. 24, 1923
Fillmore National Forest became part of the Fishlake National Forest with headquarters in Richfield.

1959: Headquarters of the Fishlake National Forest located in Richfield, Utah

 





https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/cs/detail/!ut/p/z0/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfIjo8zijQwgwNHCwN_DI8zPyBcqYKBfkO2oCABZcx5g/?position=Not%20Yet%20Determined.Html&pname=Fishlake%20National%20Forest-%20History&ss=110408&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&pnavid=150000000000000&navid=150140000000000&ttype=detail&cid=stelprdb5143167