Urban Lot Frequently Asked Questions

The Forest Service cut trees on the lots in my neighborhood, can I pick up the logs from Forest Service urban lots for firewood?

You must have a permit to remove wood from National Forest System Lands. In most cases, after project work is completed on urban lots, the area is opened to public fuel wood cutting. Firewood cutting permits are sold annually at our main office. For information on purchasing permits, please contact us. It is important that a permit is issued, so that the Forest Service can help provide guidelines to maintain a healthy forest.


Can my children build a tree house on an urban lot next to my house?

No, this is an encroachment and is prohibited. Activities like playing frisbee or tag are allowed, but activities such as building structures or bike jumps are not allowed.


Return to Urban Lot Management Program