Recreational Passes

Starting May 15th, recreation passes will be required. Purchase of passes will be available at machines located at some sites across the forest, at participating vendors, and virtually by contacting a district office during normal business hours.

Various Tonto passes

What type of pass do I need?

Full list with descriptions of our passes. There are different sites that accept a variation of different passes on the Tonto based on what activity you are planning to do. Please see the below list to find our most popular activities and designated pass information for individual sites. If your activity is not on the list, the “Recreation” tab to the left will list all activities on the forest and pass information.

I'm going:

Please note that most Campgrounds on the Forest are through concessionaire, and regular Tonto Passes will not be accepted. All fees are addressed in individual campsite webpages. Passes are necessary for most of our recreation sites. Please check to see if you need a pass and make sure you have your pass before you leave for the forest.

Where can I purchase a pass?

Retail Outlets

Daily Passes and Watercraft stickers can be purchased at designated vendors. List of Retail Outlets.

Mobile App

The Tonto Daily Pass and watercraft sticker can be purchased through the Viply app on your smartphone for use at these Cave Creek Recreation sites: Bartlett Flats, Box Bar, Needle Rock, Yellow Cliffs, SB Cove, Jojoba Boating Site and Rattlesnake Cove.  Check-in at Bartlett Vista, or the gate in front of the Cave Creek Ranger District Office.  The Tonto Daily passes are not valid at any developed campground.

Ranger District Offices

All of the passes for the Forest are available at each Ranger District. Ranger District information can be found on the side bar, or at Ranger District Information,


Purchase Tonto National Forest passes online from the My Scenic Drives store.

Tonto National Permits

There are Recreation Permits available on the Tonto National Forest so that individuals can receive permission to use certain parts of the Forest. Tonto National Forest program managers will accept only one application per person during the designated application period.  A permit holder must be at least 18 years of age and qualified to organize a non-commercial, multiple-day trip

List of Permits Available:

  • Salt River Permits – These permits allow users to go on multi-day rafting trips through the Salt River Canyon Wilderness.
  • Bulldog Canyon OHV Permits  - A permit is required to operate motorized vehicles in the Bulldog Canyon OHV Area. Access gates to the area are locked and lock combinations are listed on the permit!ut/p/z1/jZDNDoIwEISfhiu7QWOIN27EKJ74cS-GaqU10JJSRd_eJhhPgMxtJ99MsgMEBZAqn7IqrdSqrN19os05wEFRiMc4zpLg8DUQ8lEg2_8AWpLHCUUL8zMAzdfnQPDnAZhvSGLdcNgBVbVmw2SRYquwAjL8xg03_sM4W1jbbj30sO9732plHd1JdRFlwxyjTeWhVFf-8lvRjrUI3VkoJtPQNmla4H1N7N1_AAeyTnw!/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/?position=Welcome.Html&pname=Tonto%20National%20Forest-%20Passes&ss=110312&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&pnavid=null&navid=160000000000000&ttype=detail&cid=fsbdev3_018733