Places to Visit

Banner

 

 

 Program Manager: Marian Jacklin, Forest Archaeologist
Telephone: 435-865-3700
Email: mjacklin@fs.fed.us


 Mountain Meadows Monument

Mountain Meadows Monument  Mountain Meadows Monument

Erected in 1999, this monument honors those who died in the Mountain Meadows Massacre of 1857. The site is on the National Historic Register and the monument is maintained by the Mountain Meadows Association. A second monument is found on the hill east of the rock monument. This monument was erected in 1990 and is maintained by the State of Utah, Division of Parks & Recreation.   
 
Location:
From St. George, Utah, travel north on State Highway 18 approximately 30 miles. There is a marked turn-off on the west side of the highway. Travel to the left and down the hill on a good gravel road to one monument and right to the top of the hill to the second monument.

From Cedar City, Utah, travel west on State Highway 56 to the Beryl Junction, approximately 35 miles. Turn left onto State Highway 18 and travel south to Enterprise, Utah, approximately 25 miles. Continue south on State Highway 18 another 5 miles, there is a marked turn-off on the west side of the highway. Travel to the left and down the hill on a good gravel road to one monument and right to the top of the hill to the second monument.

 

Old Iron Town

Charcoal Kiln at Old Iron Town    Charcoal Kiln at Old Iron Town

Established in 1868, Old Iron Town was once home to around 200 people. What remains are the ruins of the characteristic coal kilns, foundry, blast furnace as well as home foundations viewable by a self guided tour. The site is on the National Historic Register and is owned and maintained by the State of Utah, Division of Parks & Recreation.

Location:
From Cedar City, Utah, travel west on State Highway 56 approximately 20 miles, turn left onto Forest Service Road 013 and travel southwest for approximately 4 miles. Forest Service Road 013 is a good gravel road.

Parowan Gap

Petroglyphs at the Parowan Gap    Petroglyphs at the Parowan Gap

This impressive petroglyph site exhibits rock art from Archaic and Fremont as well as later Native Americans. The Gap itself served as a natural corridor through which people would travel to access the shallow lake waters on the west, a good hunting site for waterfowl and aquatic animals. The site is on the National Register of Historic Places and is managed by the Bureau of Land Management.

Location:
From Parowan, Utah, travel west on 400 north (Gap Road) approximately 10 miles. The road is paved the first 8 miles and is a good gravel road the remainder of the way.

Pine Valley Chapel
 

Pine Valley ChapelPine Valley Chapel

Located in beautiful Pine Valley, this chapel is the oldest LDS chapel in continuous use. The chapel was built by Ebenezer Bryce, a shipbuilder, and was completed in 1868.

Location:
From St. George travel north on State Highway 18 approximately 25 miles to Central, Utah. Turn right onto Forest Service Road 035 and continue until you reach the little town of Pine Valley. The Chapel is located on the corner of Forest Service Road 035 and Forest Service Road 011.
 
 
Return to Heritage Home Page