Panorama of Enchantments (View of Aasgard Pass to Snow Lakes, from Little Annapurna) on August 23, 2011. Photo by Clint Kyhl
UPDATED June 2, 2016
For more information on how to obtain a permit, Please click here.
The core Enchantments are mostly under snow. Trail from Colchuck Lake to Aasgard Pass is still mostly snow-covered. Campsites at Colchuck and Snow Lakes still have snow patches. The trails to Snow Lakes, Eightmile Lake, Colchuck Lake and Stuart Lake are mostly snow free. Trails have not been maintained yet so expect to encounter numerous downed trees across trails.
NWS Weather forecasts in the Enchantments near Snow Lakes at 7,000 ft please click HERE
Some other GREAT resources for trail information, including Enchantment trip reports, can be found on WTA.org and NWHikers.net
PLEASE REMEMBER THE FOLLOWING WHEN VISITING THE ENCHANTMENTS
- Starting in 2016, overnight permits are required from May 15 through October 31. PLEASE BE AWARE: While permits may be reserved as early as May 15, early spring snow and weather conditions may not allow road access to the Stuart Lake or Eightmile Lake trailheads during the early part of the season. Even if road access is possible, traveling and camping on snow is HIGHLY likely during May and June. Please be aware of cancellation and change policies as well as the skills and equipment you will need to travel in the Enchantments in the early spring or late fall.
- Campfires are prohibited above 5000’ and within ½ mile of Little Eightmile and Eightmile Lake. Check carefully and make sure you know where you are.
- Unlike the rest of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, the Enchantments has a party size limit of 8 people. You cannot combine two permit groups that creates a group larger than 8.
- You must camp within the zone you are permitted for the duration of your trip. The only permit that allows you to camp anywhere is the Core Enchantments Permit.
- Dogs are prohibited in the entire Enchantments Permit Area. If you want to hike with your dog, most other trails on the district are open to pets. Contact the Leavenworth Ranger Station if you would like hike recommendations.
Overnight Wilderness Permits for the Enchantments are required from May 15 - October 31. Information is available on Recreation.gov and the forest website HERE. Self issuing day use permits (free) and Northwest Passes ($5 per day, per car) are available at most trailheads accessing the Enchantments. Free parking passes are given to those purchasing Enchantment Permits for the duration of your stay. No camping at trailheads.