McKenzie River Ranger District Recreation Updates
Remember, conditions can change rapidly, especially in wilderness areas and any time in winter.
We update the conditions report weekly (approximately).
- If you don't see an update for a particular week, it probably means that conditions haven't changed significantly.
- Conditions cited below are the last reported.
For more information: call 541.822.3381 or e-mail McKenzie River Ranger District
General Updates and Conditions
Date: May 2, 2016
Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Local weather for McKenzie River Travel Corridor near the Ranger Station.
WARNING: There are no hazards at this time.
Date: May 2, 2016
Road Conditions (Highway 20 and 126 from west) from Tripcheck.com
Road Conditions (Highway 126 and 242 from east) from Tripcheck.com
Road Cams (US 20 at Santiam Pass and US at Santiam Junction)
Watch for hazards, construction and closures on these Forest Service roads. Construction completion dates are approximate.
- Highway 242 ( Old McKenzie Highway ): CLOSED to vehicle traffic to Sisters until June 20th, 2016. Vehicle access to the Proxy Falls Trailhead and Linton Lake Trailhead is now possible. Bicycle traffic beyond the gate at Alder Springs campground is now possible, at your own risk. Please be careful of work trucks while traveling on this road.
- Forest Road 19 ( Aufderhiede Drive): OPEN but may be impassable at Box Canyon due to a lingering snow drift 6-8" deep and/or other debris on roadway from recent storms.
- Forest Road 15 to Wolf Rock ( Blue River Reservoir Rd.): Heavy hauling, logging activity.
- Forest Road 1993 mile post 3.8: A rock slide has closed the road to vehicle traffic.
- Forest Road 2638 (Horse Creek Rd.): Some hauling, logging activity
- Forest Road 2643 (Foley Ridge Rd.): Some hauling, logging activity on and off.
Please refer to the Willamette National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Map for Seasonal and Special Use Designation on the McKenzie River Ranger District.
Call 541.822.3381 or e-mail McKenzie River Ranger District for information on specific roads.
Winter Recreation & Conditions
Campgrounds & Day Use Sites
Date: May 2, 2016
Campgrounds in OPEN status: McKenzie Bridge Campground, Trail Bridge Campground (no services, no fees), Cougar Crossing Campground, Lookout Campground, Olallie Campground, Delta Campground and Slide Creek Campgrounds.
All other campgrounds in the McKenzie River Ranger District are CLOSED.
- Terwilliger Hot Springs: Fees at Terwilliger Hot Springs are $6 per person for a day pass (can pay onsite) and $70 for an annual pass. Fee area includes hot springs, trail, lagoon, and parking.
- List of all campgrounds and day use sites in the McKenzie Santiam Travel Corridor with scheduled open/close dates, fees and key amenities.
Campground and cabin reservations can be made through the National Recreation Reservation Service, by calling the toll-free number: 1-877-444-6777 or online to www.recreation.gov.
Snow line is approximately 4,000 feet.
Trail conditions change more in spring and fall following changing snow levels.We clear the low elevation, popular trails first.
Trail Conditions Summary for McKenzie River Ranger District
This summary lists all the trails on the district with a brief condition description and date for the trails that we've worked on. We do not have condition information for every trail.
Please see the Date Reported column for the most recent condition information we have on a particular trail.
Obsidian Limited Entry Area Permits: Advance reservations are now ONLY available through the National Recreation Reservation System (NRRS) at www.recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777. Visit our Obsidian Limited Entry Permit Page for more information.
In addition to Forest Service offices, the Northwest Forest Pass ( $5.00 daily and $30.00 annually) can be purchased at all area Bi-Mart Stores and REI Sporting Goods stores. The NW Forest Pass may also be purchased through local vendors: Mather's Market in Cedar Flat near Springfield; Leaburg Country Store; Meyer's General Store in Blue River; Blue Sky Market ( formerly Harbick's Country Store) in Rainbow.
The new E-Pass ( NW Forest Pass for day use ) is available online at www.discovernw.org Print it at home or on the road!
For current fire conditions:
For more fire updates and information, follow us on Twitter.
For more information: call 541.822.3381
or e-mail McKenzie River Ranger District