McKenzie River Ranger District Recreation Updates
Remember, conditions can change rapidly, especially in wilderness areas and any time in winter.
We update the conditions report weekly (approximately).
- If you don't see an update for a particular week, it probably means that conditions haven't changed significantly.
- Conditions cited below are the last reported.
For more information: call 541.822.3381 or e-mail McKenzie River Ranger District
General Updates and Conditions
Date: February 8, 2016
Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Local weather for McKenzie River Travel Corridor near the Ranger Station.
WARNING: Two large trees have fallen approx. 100 yards below Deer Creek Bridge (Rd. 2654), one of them is completely blocking boat passage. Reported 12-30-15. An additional large tree has fallen approx. 200 yards below Deer Creek Bridge (Rd. 2654). Boat passage is completely blocked. Scout the river before launching. Reported 11-19-15.
A river hazard has been reported on the McKenzie River below the bridge on road 2650. A piece of a root wad from a larger tree in the middle of the river. The root wad may move on its own. If the root wad is no longer visible it may have become jammed further down stream. Reported 6-10-15
Date: February 8, 2016
Road Conditions (Highway 20 and 126 from west) from Tripcheck.com
Road Conditions (Highway 126 and 242 from east) from Tripcheck.com
Road Cams (US 20 at Santiam Pass and US at Santiam Junction)
Watch for hazards, construction and closures on these Forest Service roads. Construction completion dates are approximate.
- Highway 242 ( Old McKenzie Highway ): CLOSED to Sisters for the winter season.
- Forest Road 19 ( Aufderhiede Drive): OPEN
- Forest Road 15 to Wolf Rock ( Blue River Reservoir Rd.): Heavy hauling, logging activity.
- Forest Road 1993 mile post 3.8: A rock slide has closed the road to vehicle traffic.
- Forest Road 2638 (Horse Creek Rd.): Some hauling, logging activity
- Forest Road 2643 (Foley Ridge Rd.): Some hauling, logging activity on and off.
Please refer to the Willamette National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Map for Seasonal and Special Use Designation on the McKenzie River Ranger District.
Call 541.822.3381 or e-mail McKenzie River Ranger District for information on specific roads.
Winter Recreation & Conditions
- To view the current McKenzie River Sno-Park Conditions Report, click here. Please note that a logging operation is taking place in the Ikenick Sno-Park area and trails in the northern section of the Sno-Park are impacted by this operation and are not recommended.
- Weather for area near Santiam Pass
- Snow Levels from Natural Resources Conservation Services Snotel website
- Check Oregon Department of Transportation's Tripcheck.com for latest road conditions and traction devices requirements for Santiam Pass
- Santiam Winter Recreation Page
- Sno-Park permits required beginning November 1. We do not sell Sno-Park permits. Permits are sold at Oregon Department of Motor Vehicle offices and through these vendors: click here.
- Road Conditions for State of Oregon from Tripcheck.com
Campgrounds & Day Use Sites
Date: February 8, 2016
Campgrounds in OPEN status: Trail Bridge (no services, no fees), Cougar Crossing, and Lookout
All other campgrounds in the McKenzie River Ranger District are CLOSED.
- Terwilliger Hot Springs: Fees at Terwilliger Hot Springs are $6 per person for a day pass (can pay onsite) and $70 for an annual pass. Fee area includes hot springs, trail, lagoon, and parking.
- List of all campgrounds and day use sites in the McKenzie Santiam Travel Corridor with scheduled open/close dates, fees and key amenities.
Campground and cabin reservations can be made through the National Recreation Reservation Service, by calling the toll-free number: 1-877-444-6777 or online to www.recreation.gov.
Trail conditions change more in spring and fall following changing snow levels.We clear the low elevation, popular trails first.
Trail Conditions Summary for McKenzie River Ranger District
This summary lists all the trails on the district with a brief condition description and date for the trails that we've worked on. We do not have condition information for every trail.
Please see the Date Reported column for the most recent condition information we have on a particular trail.
Obsidian Limited Entry Area Permits: Advance reservations are now available only through the National Recreation Reservation System (NRRS) at www.recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777. Visit our Obsidian Limited Entry Permit Page for more information.
In addition to Forest Service offices, the Northwest Forest Pass ( $5.00 daily and $30.00 annually) can be purchased at all area Bi-Mart Stores and REI Sporting Goods stores. The NW Forest Pass may also be purchased through local vendors: Mather's Market in Cedar Flat near Springfield; Leaburg Country Store; Meyer's General Store in Blue River; Blue Sky Market ( formerly Harbick's Country Store) in Rainbow.
The new E-Pass ( NW Forest Pass for day use ) is available online at www.discovernw.org Print it at home or on the road!
For current fire conditions:
For more fire updates and information, follow us on Twitter.
For more information: call 541.822.3381
or e-mail McKenzie River Ranger District